You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa if you want to visit the UK, for leisure.

For example on holiday or to see your family and friends, for business, or to take part in sports or creative events, for another reason, for example to receive private medical treatment.

You can usually stay in the UK for up to 6 months.

If you need to visit the UK regularly over a longer period, you can apply for a long-term Standard Visitor visa that lasts 2, 5 or 10 years.

The different UK Visitor visa categories are mentioned below.

  • Family Visitor visa
  • General Visitor visa
  • Child Visitor visa
  • Business Visitor visa, including visas for academics, doctors and dentists
  • Sports Visitor visa
  • Entertainer Visitor visa
  • Prospective Entrepreneur visa
  • Private Medical Treatment Visitor visa
  • Approved Destination Status (ADS) visa

Each visa type requires different documentation, so check your visa type carefully. If your documents are not in English, you may need to get translations prepared before applying


You must apply online. As part of your online application, you need to book an appointment at a visa application center of your country. You’ll have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘bio-metric information’) taken at your appointment.

You may be able to get your visa faster or other services depending on what country you’re in – check with your visa application center.

Documents you must provide

When you apply you’ll need to provide a current passport or other valid travel identification.

You need a page in your passport that’s blank on both sides for your visa. Your passport must be valid for the whole of your stay in the UK.

You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

You might need to provide additional documents if you’re visiting the UK:

  • for private medical treatment
  • to apply as an organ donor
  • as an academic on sabbatical and want to stay for 12 months
  • as a prospective entrepreneur
  • to take the Professional and Linguistic Assessment Board (PLAB) test or sit the Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)
  • in transit to a country outside the UK, Ireland, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands

The expert counselors at Golden Crown Travel can help you with the guidance of the Visa process for Visitor Visa and provide best assistance for the paper work along with the right approach in obtaining the visitor visa UK successfully.

A good UK Visitor Visa consultant like Golden Crown Travel can advise you on the best approach to apply for a visitor visa to UK.